Tag Archives: Tips for Realtors
5 Self-Defense Tips for Realtors
Let’s look at some self-defense tips for realtors. As in any job, but especially in real estate, agents have the possibility of being confronted with the threat of physical attack Unfortunately, the majority of employees are typically armed with little to no self-defense awareness. In fact, in a recent survey conducted by the National Association of Realtors, 40% of the respondents reported that they had experienced a situation that made them fear for their personal safety or safety of their personal information while on the job. Below, we’ve outlined 5 self-defense tips for realtors that can help all real estate agents protect themselves while on the job.
Download Printable PDF Article >>>
1. Unlock the doors and perform any safety checks prior to your prospect’s arrival. Make sure all exits are unlocked and clear of obstacles.
2. Never walk into a property first. You already have the door unlocked and open. Step aside and allow your prospective buyer to go in first. If you walk in first, it’s easy for your would-be assailant to lock the door behind him and proceed with the attack.
3. Maintain a personal comfort zone. There is no reason for a person to be within 3 feet of you at any time without permission. If attacked, stand your ground. You are far less likely to survive an attack if the perpetrator moves you from one location to another. Don’t let an attacker force you into a car, as this will decrease the chances of emergency responders finding you with enough time to save your life.
4. Breathe. This is often the first thing people forget to do in an assault. The easiest way to prevent this is to start yelling. Yell at the attacker to stop. Yell at them to go away. Or simply yell “NO!” Target sensitive areas. There are several areas of the human body that are very sensitive to attack. Pinch together all five fingertips of one hand and go straight for the eyes. If the attacker is behind you, jab your elbow into the face, throat or pit of the stomach.
5. Take a self-defense class. You can never be too prepared in an attack. Learn the most effective ways to fend off an attacker from a trained professional. At the end of the day, the most important point is that you make it out alive.
If you are interested in learning more about these and other self-defense tips for realtors, please contact:
Personal Security Expert
(215) 370 -1650