Tag Archives: HUTCHINSON MECHANICAL
This article explores some commercial HVAC tips for Spring. Special thanks to Ed Hutchinson, President Hutchinson Mechanical Services for writing this on behalf of Wolf Commercial Real Estate.
Article Download: Spring HVAC Tips (PDF)
With the winter behind us, there’s no doubt you’re ready for the warmer weather. But is your commercial HVAC system ready to handle the dog days of summer? Don’t procrastinate and wait until something breaks down – it will only cost you comfort and dollars in the long-run. Hutchinson Mechanical Services, a leading mechanical services contractor serving the Tri-State Region’s commercial customers, offers tips to help add life to your commercial HVAC systems, keep you feeling comfortable, and improve your bottom line.
• Get an AC inspection and tune up. Now’s the time… don’t procrastinate and wait until it’s 80 degrees outside! Our certificated technicians will test your system to determine if any repairs are needed. Preventive maintenance will keep your system running smooth and efficiently, and extend its service life, too.
• Swap out your air filters. Rule of thumb is to change filters before every season at a minimum, and as needed.
• Install programmable controls. Employees won’t have to worry or remember to adjust thermostats when they leave. Consider a 21st century control system, too for extra efficiency. With the click of a mouse, Honeywell Web Certified Hutchinson technicians can access heating and cooling controls over the web, enabling them to quickly access, monitor and repair any heating or cooling remotely.
• Get your ductwork inspected and cleaned. Leaks or cracks can reduce energy efficiency in your cooling systems and result in higher utility bills. A duct system that’s properly sealed can save you money and make you more comfortable in your business. • Spring clean up around your commercial HVAC units. During the winter, leaves and debris can build up around units. Make sure to clear this away during your spring cleaning to give your unit at least two feet of clearance all the way around. This will help your unit function properly and safely.
Hutchinson Mechanical Services is a leading energy/mechanical service contractor performing energy
services, mechanical construction and retrofit installation work in the Greater Philadelphia Tri-State
To learn more about Hutchinson and its energy service offerings, visit hutchbiz.com or call 888-777-4501 to schedule an energy assessment. Hutchinson’s technicians are factory trained, NATE certified and are on-call 24/7 365 days a year.
BY ED HUTCHINSON, PRESIDENT, HUTCHINSON MECHANICAL SERVICES
Hutchinson Mechanical Services, a leading mechanical services contractor serving the Tri-State Region’s commercial customers, offers HVAC tips to help add life to your systems, keep you comfortable this winter and improve your bottom line.
1. KEEP YOUR THERMOSTAT UNDER 70° F
Set your thermostat at 68°during the day and at 60° at night. You can save approximately 3% on heating costs for every degree under 70. There are a variety of web and cloud based comfort control systems available today to ensure that these settings are maintained, and employees will not have to worry or remember to adjust the settings when they leave the office.
2. CLEAN OR REPLACE FILTERS EVERY MONTH
A dirty filter restricts airflow and makes the system work harder than necessary. By cleaning or replacing filters regularly, you’ll improve efficiency and ensure a more comfortable environment.
3. ESTABLISH A PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE PROGRAM FOR YOUR HVAC EQUIPMENT AND SYSTEMS.
Routine cleaning can have a significant impact on energy efficiency, according to the Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP)’s O&M Center of Excellence.
• Change or clean all air filters, preferably every month.
• Repair leaks in piping, air duct s, coils, fittings and at the unit( s).
• Replace defective equipment insulation, ducting and piping.
• Install/upgrade HVAC controls to include new energy management systems technologies.
4. PREVENT FROZEN PIPES
• Insulate pipes.
• Seal air leaks to keep the cold out.
• Shut off and drain water from pipes leading to outside irrigation. Before winter hits, disconnect garden hoses and, if possible, use an indoor valve to shut off and drain water from pipes leading to outside irrigation.
• Trickle water. Hot or cold water will help keep your pipes from freezing. Let warm
water drip overnight from a faucet on an outside wall.
5. CLEAN HEATING DUCTS
Heating ducts should be cleaned periodically to allow efficient heating and provide fresh, clean air. A routine inspection will ensure there are no punctures, dents or disconnected parts. Damaged ducts can raise your heating bills by blowing wasted warm air. Also check to make sure the ducts are properly insulated.
6. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ENERGY EFFICIENT PROGRAMS
Hutchinson is a Participating Contractor in New Jersey’s most successful Clean Energy Program – Direct Install. Direct Install currently pays up to 70 percent of the cost of energy efficiency upgrades for businesses and local governments. Through the program, Hutchinson provides prospective customers with a FREE energy assessment to identify eligible equipment, including lighting upgrades, HVAC, refrigeration, motors, natural gas equipment and variable frequency drives.
7. REPLACE INEFFICIENT, OUTDATED OR EXCESSIVE LIGHTING WITHIN YOUR BUILDING
Regardless of the season, replace existing light bulbs with compact fluorescents and LED’s which produce three to four times as much light per watt as incandescent bulbs.
For More HVAC Tips, Contact Hutchinson to schedule an energy assessment appointment.
Ed Hutchinson, President
Hutchinson Mechanical Services